Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Deer At Providencia



            In Annie Dillards essay The Deer At Providencia, (1982); she tells about her encounter with wildlife in the jungle and explores the different cultures that separate wildlife form civility. Dillard tells how she experiences the different lifestyle of the natives and how they are immune to killing or harming animals versus those who don’t see it every day, how she notices a deer tied up waiting to be prepared for dinner as they head to the table or camp site to dine. Her purpose for this essay was to show that this is how some people survive and it is apart of their culture and natural for them to see on a daily basis. The intended audience would be those who are into nature and wildlife civility.

            My perception of this is neutral because I know people have to provide the best way they know how to but on the other hand I don’t condone animal cruelty. Although I do eat meat and know that animals are sacrificed for my pleasure, I couldn’t bear to watch it suffer the way she explained in her essay. The site of that would have ruined my appetite and would have emotionally disturbed me but they have to eat to survive so I cannot judge them.  We kill animals every day for food and even clothing. This is a part of the society we live in.

            In her essay Dillard gives vivid details of the deer and its struggle to get free but yet she shows no emotions. She stated that, “I looked detached, hard, or focused, still.” The site of the trapped deer didn’t bother her; she was accustomed to the events that were going on. “I have traveled widely in Roanoke, Virginia. I have thought a great deal about carnivorousness; I eat meat. These things are not issues.” Proving that she is not disturbed of the events that took place that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment