Wednesday, September 19, 2012

BRENT STAPLES "BLACK MEN AND PUBLIC SPACE" BLOG

PoeticJustice1101

Professor: Cantice Greene

September 5, 2012


In Brent Staples personal essay "Black Men and Public Space" (1986) Staples depicts the physiological effects that determine how a person thinks and acts based on a stereotype about black males. Staples give us evidence of his power to strike fear in society by simply being a "rough-looking" black male in public by citing all his unprecedented encounters with the law, women, pedestrians, and corporate America. In an effort to stay out of trouble, Staples restricts his normal way of carrying himself by doing things like whistling Beethoven in public in order to be perceived as a good man or a non-threat to society. In this narrative, Staples grabs the attention of young adult males who been judged by the way they look.

I am baffled at how black males became the common victims of profiling. I asked myself, "Would I profile Staples if I were to encounter him in the wee hours of the night like the people stated in the essay?" With my own personal experiences, yes; I would tread consciously about suspicious looking people.  Staples give great details of how people tend to act different when something is not normal in their environment. I feel sorry for Staples about how he was treated. It is unfortunate that Staples fit the profile of usual suspects of crimes, so I agree that Staples had to do certain things to calm the public’s perception about him.

Staples use multiple onomatopoeias to describe the severity of prejudice around him. Words like "thunk" "victim" and "encounter" suggests that Staples want his audience to feel the harshness of the prejudice. The many situations that he pointed out also show how common prejudice was against black males. He took pride though in his ability to manipulate people when he said, "The fearsomeness mistakenly attributed to me in public places often has a perilous flavor." Staples want us to know of the anger he felt inside him, yet, he teaches us how to be humble given the unfortunate circumstances of society’s prejudice towards one another.
 

2 comments:

  1. "He took pride though in his ability to manipulate people when he said, "The fearsomeness mistakenly attributed to me in public places often has a perilous flavor."

    What did you mean by this line? I don't think Staples took 'pride' in his ability to create public spaces because it often 'has a perilous flavor'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! יחסי ציבור אופנה

    ReplyDelete